On Sunday after the outdoor retailer tradeshow was all said and done, I checked out of the hotel and locked up our valuables in Salomon, Renan's '88 gold Saab Turbo, parked in the Radisson Garage below the city streets of Downtown Salt Lake. Renan had left the hotel early that morning to partake in an RD&D trip for North Face, a ski trip in the mountains a few hours north. He would return to Salomon on wednesday and drive the four hours back to Moab. I planned to catch a ride with a friend back home in the late afternoon, so I had a few hours to kill. After securing the vehicle I set out on a a strool through the downtown. Salt lake City, being mostly populated by mormons, was silent on this day of the week, the day of rest had fallen, and all I saw while I walked, were a few lone souls wondering like myself. I felt for a moment that this city, unlike many in the U.S., was actually safe. I returned to Salomom to make a quick run to the art supplies store and the natural food grocery store. After all Moab is small and we are limited in supplies from both these establishments. When I started him up, the dash lights signaled that the doors were ajar. I looked and saw that they actually were locked, but only clicked shut. I though that to be odd. Sure enough I realized at some point that our computers/ipods/backup hard drives/cell phone charges/camera equipment/ memory cards/etc were missing. I was in shock. Someone had broke in, but when leaving, locked and gently latched the doors closed to not dram any unwatned attention to the car. How could this have happened to us, or in my case, again. I have been fully robbed and violated before, and here is was happening in Salt lake, a block from the gigantic Mormon Temple. ARghh. I was so frustrated. When tallied up we lost about $10,000 worth of equipment and also many files, photos, documents, and other work that we can't ever get back! I filed a police report, notified the hotel, and took a few deep breaths. While there was nothing I could really do, I just wanted justice and my personal effects returned. Of course this happens to a lot of people, but at that moment I felt like it was perhaps just me, and me alone. The time came for me to venture back to Moab. I accepted what had happened, hopped in the truck and headed back to "home,safe,home" (I hope). Renan returned to SLC on wednesday and continued to deal with the wrath casued by the thief/thieves. We filed a claim with the hotel's insurance. Later in the day we recieved a call saying they have a lead on someone they felt may have comitted the crime, but Renan and I are not to hopefull they will actually catch this person/people. It does get worse however. The people who now use our computers/ipods, etc, have started to tap into our bank accounts. Luckily we are on it and have frozen the accounts. I hope we don't have to go down the long road of identity teft. For now, like all others who have been violated/robbed, we are picking up the pieces of what we have left as far as technology goes and are moving on. My advice to you, don't leave valuables in your car no matter the time frame, back up your important files, and leave those back up drives at HOME locked up!
1.31.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment